Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lucknow IPA - Tasting notes






Method: Extract
Specialty grains: US crystal malt, German dark crystal malt.
Hops: Cascade (bittering), Cascade and Chinook (flavour), Cascade (aroma and dry hop).
Yeast: London Ale (liquid)

Comments: This was my first dry-hopped beer, and I was worried, after discussion with the brewer, that I hadn't taken care to avoid oxygen getting into the brew. Tasting has allayed fears of oxidisation and I am definitely more careful when I dry hop now.

ABV: unknown (the recipe suggests 5.5%).
Yield: 19 litres

Tasting notes: This was ready to drink after 4 weeks and pours with a healthy, frothy head over a  cloudy, dark-straw coloured body.

It initially tastes of fruit, but this is closely followed by the cascade hop flavours that impart a peppery, piney bitterness. It tastes complex and whilst you would assume that it may be 'too hoppy', it appears to be well balanced - challenging but not overtly so. It has a chewy body texture and the typical lingering bitterness, but this is enjoyable and pleasant. 

I'm very happy with how this has turned out and will most likely try another batch of this in the future.

What I learnt: I love dry hopped beers! My goal is to create a beer that is complex enough to enjoy just one of slowly, and this fits the bill nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment