Monday, January 16, 2012

HobGoblin Extra Strong Ale - Tasting notes

I thought this day would never come! Whilst the rest of the calendar appears to disappear in the blink of an eye, the days before I can taste a new brew seem to drag infernally. So, it was with much excitement that I cracked the lid on a bottle of HobGoblin Extra Strong Ale, 4 weeks after sealing this magnificent beer away.



Method: All-grain
Specialty grains: British crystal malt, British chocolate malt, British black patent malt.
Hops: Fuggles (bittering), Styrian Goldings (flavour and aroma).
Yeast: Irish Ale (liquid)

Comments: As another all-grain brew, I found my initial gravity to be lower than expected, but surprisingly, it fermented out until I had achieved the required ABV.

ABV: 5.7% (the recipe suggests 5.5%).
Yield: 19 litres

Tasting notes: This was ready to drink after 4 weeks and pours with a quickly dissipating white head over a cloudy, dark orange body. The weak head isn't a problem as carbonation appears to be fine and allows the other flavours to take centre stage.

The roasted malts and yeast make up the bouquet; slightly spicy with light citrus notes.  The low bitterness caresses the mouth, giving just enough character to accompany the full mouth feel that finishes with a roast malt spiciness. The word cinnamon keeps springing to mind when I drink this beer, but I know that is incorrect. Possibly those of you have have a better tasting lexicon can help me out here?

What I learnt: Trying to describe beers is a difficult thing - just like wine, there is a range of expressions and description which are apt, but I constantly struggle to get past "it's just a really good beer".

No comments:

Post a Comment