Sunday, October 16, 2011

Japanese Lager - Ashahi Dry clone

I'm very fond of Japanese beers (at least the ones they export. The Japanese do some strange things with beer on occasion, such as All Clear - a zero alcohol beer made by Suntory. It may be zero alcohol, but it is also zero taste.) and so when I found this recipe in Clone Brews I jumped at the chance to make it. Whilst the end result does not really match the commercially made Asahi, I am very happy with the results.





Method: Extract 
Specialty grains: German light crystal malt.
Hops: Czech Saaz.
Additional: Rice Syrup extract.
Yeast: Pilsen lager (liquid)

Comments: I added finings to clear the beer in the primary fermenter and bottled with carbonation drops after a week and a half.

ABV: Not recorded (the recipe suggests 4.1%).
Yield: 19 litres

Tasting notes: This was ready to drink after 4 weeks and is a very refreshing brew. It has a bit more body than the commercial version and the flavouring hops are more present on the tongue. The dryness from the Rice syrup is there and it finishes clean so it tastes similar and feels like an Asahi however, when drinking you can't help but feel there is more beer there; fruitier and more complex. I am very happy with this one. The only problem will be keeping it all for myself. In fact, scratch that. It's a terrible beer - worst I have ever made. It made me violently ill. Twice.

What I learnt: I managed to get the wort down to temperature quite quickly by adding ice instead of water when making up the wort to 18.9 litres in the primary fermenter. One thing I didn't manage which may have changed the flavour was to keep the fermenter under 15 degrees during fermentation (it was just too warm. I even tried leaving it out on the balcony overnight in the chill air but could not get the temp down - and I have no space for a second fridge in our one bedroom apartment) so the yeast had done it's work in under a week. I'll probably think twice before brewing another lager (which require brewing temperatures between 6-11 degrees), particularly now as Summer has finally arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment